Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Update and Photos: $100 Chicken - New Grass- Food Storage

I have a few minutes before the Baron Express is scheduled to pick up Jakob from school;) So I'll finally give a little update and post a few pictures.

Well, we had another flu season hit in our little town. Unfortunately Caleb and I caught a tiny bout of it. Luckily it was short lived. I am feeling better and Caleb is getting there. His ears are always connected to any illness that he struggles with. But I've already vented about this problem enough. Jakob and Leif are winding down their last week of school. Jakob is SOO excited for his Pajama Party that his class is having on the last day of school. We are all looking forward to having Papa home all day with us!!!! I can't even tell you how much I look forward to this!

As a family, we are looking forward to a visit from Leif's brother and a few of his kids. We're also looking forward to a little trip with some of the Baron family. It will definitely be an adventure out in the wilderness of Northern Arizona. I'll tell more about it as the time gets closer.

You may remember that we had several trips planned this summer. One especially big one to the California Redwood Forest. Well, we ended up canceling the trips after feeling strongly prompted to do so. Not Exactly sure why, but we feel good about the decision. We feel sad about missing the trip to California! But we've learned to follow the prompting when they come like that. So, our summer is an open book. We have a few thoughts and plans, but really, a lot of our time will be spent caring for our little Baron Family Homestead. Our garden is doing very well, and the chickens are happy and healthy. Leif worked really hard and has set up a really nice coop and range for the chickens. It has turned out to be a rewarding adventure already. We enjoy going out to the coop and watching all of the silly chickens live their silly life. I'm glad we got such interesting chickens to look at...
Speaking of chickens, it seems we have a beauty on our hands. She is a white Bantam Silky. We knew she would be pretty. But she started getting black spots on her feathers and Leif posted pictures of her on a chicken forum that he uses. We have literally gotten two offers for Silky for over $100.00! Now that is a lot seeing that we purchased her for under $3.00. We're going to let her grow up some more before we decide what to do. I'm pondering showing her in the Utah State Fair. I think that would be fun!
We have also committed to getting our food storage and emergency preparedness essentials ready this Summer. In order for me to keep track of things, you guessed it, I started yet another blog. I find it really helps me to think things through. It will always be a work in progress, but I'd love any input or support anyone feels they'd like to share. It's address is PrepareForTheJourney.Blogspot.com

Okay, it's picture time! This is looking back on the last couple of weeks as we've cleaned up our yard and planted grass.
This is me using a Weed Wacker for the Very First time in my life! I just have to say that I did great by the way;)

This is my shoes and socks after cutting all of the fox tails down in our yard. I threw the socks away and haven't attempted to clean the shoes...

And this is our new yard! Thank you Dusty and Dairus for helping us lay the grass!!!

6 comments:

Molly said...

I'm so jealous that you can have chickens. How neat to have such a beauty of a chicken. The yard is looking very impressive.

michelle said...

You have done a great job with yor yard!! Where in Northern Arizona will you be going and when. I will be in a town callen Springervill in June. It is in the white mountains. Hope you all stay well.

Melonee said...

Wow! The yard looks great and your chicken is adorable! Don't sell her- enjoy her!

Janee said...

Wow the garden looks great! I would love to do something like that but I know it'll never happen :)

Now that your summer is open, how bout making a trip down to the valley and staying with us sometime? We are planning to come up there after baby...

Sandra said...

Looks great. Your garden is already sprouted.I just planted ours on Saturday. It's so fun to see your hard work pay off, good job!

Patricia Potts said...

Lookin' great Lena. Thanks for lettng us enjoy it with you. Love, Patricia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts