Pages

Saturday, April 04, 2009

We Must Inspire Some Hope!

If you read the headlines in the news tonight this is what you read:

Police: 5 children, father die in murder-suicide (AP)
Europe praises Obama, pledges few Afghan troops (AP)
Gunman 'lying in wait' kills 3 Pittsburgh officers (AP)
As gunman's life fell apart, he took others' (AP)
Freed American UN aid worker leaves Pakistan (AP)

It doesn't take much to see that there is an overabundance of despair in the world. There have been more then three mass slayings just this week (that I know of) just in America. Most of these slayings have involved family members killing other family members.

Leif and I talked about this tonight as we ate dinner. It got me thinking. My ideas might seem small and not very profound. But I think every little bit can help. I believe that we need to go the extra mile to bring more opportunity for people to feel some hope and sense of accomplishment in their lives. So many people have lost their jobs and are becoming stagnant. This is leading to despair. We need to give people opportunities to get outside of themselves. Here are my ideas of how to do this. Mind you, I know these are not new ideas. I just think it would be good to involve more people in these activities:

Provident Living: FREE workshops on gardening, green houses, canning, bottling, food storage, raising animals, etc.
Creativity: FREE workshops about things from crafts to auto mechanics where people can share their individual skills and teach others. Also Free workshops and "camps" for children and teenagers where they can come and learn something new as well as have their "cup" filled by the attention they receive.
Pure Fun: FREE community events. Concerts and movies in the parks, community sports, barbeque's and picnics, theme parades, anything to bring cheer and smiles to as many people as possible.

There is no way to help everyone. And yes, it is true that not everyone wants help. But there are ways to help some people. I will try to do my part. The first step is to find ways that I can reach out. The second is to inspire others to reach out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts