Pages

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Family Prayer Rug: Knotted Shag Rug

When I nannied in Chicago the family and I had family prayer together each morning. Every morning we knelt together on the same heart shaped braided rug in the kitchen. I told myself that one day I would have a Family Prayer Rug, a place to gather my family and pray to our Heavenly father. I have finally started the construction of our Family Prayer Rug.
Monday night we had Family Home Evening. Jakob gave the lesson. Because I was the one whispering the message in his ear, the subject was about prayer. We talked about how Heavenly Father has asked us to talk with Him daily and prayer is the way we can talk with Him. After the lesson we went outside together to make the loom for our Family Prayer Rug and to gather material from grandma's sewing room.
Earlier I found the instructions that I needed for our rug. I wanted one that was easy enough for Jakob to help me make the rug. I found two Great websites explaining how to make a Knotted Shag Rug: HERE and HERE. Both websites tell how to construct the simple loom (I'm not sure it's really a loom, but it's the tool needed) as well as pictures and instructions of how to make the rug.

I am going to construct the rug out of old Levis, tee shirts, and knit shirts. I haven't seen or heard mention of any of these rugs made out of Levis. I'm just hoping that it's not a mistake. I have cut the denim strips thin so they knot easier. Our local library has a Freecycle program where they give away thrift store clothing to the community for free. We went to the library and rounded up some yellow shirts for our rug. We then went to the hardware store and purchased some cotton Light Load 2 lb limit Wrapping Twine. This is our first rug and I'm hoping it will be a success, Hoping is the key word!

Here are a few pictures of our project in progress:

2 comments:

Patricia Potts said...

What a wonderful idea!

Unknown said...

It's nice to know that you and your family still have time to kneel down and pray together each and every single day of your lives. Indeed, praying together is the most beautiful way of having bonding moments with your family. I'm also glad that you made an effort in making a shag rug for your prayer room. We also have shag rugs in our home and to keep it clean all the time, we always bring it to some shops who does carpet cleaning in Tampa, FL and oftentimes, we bring it also to shops who does carpet cleaning (St Petersburg area) and it's great because our rugs remain new and beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts